Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Best Thing I Heard This Week

It doesn't take very long for people to figure out that you are on a diet (although I tell them, "I'm not dieting, I'm getting healthy!"). Pass on a piece of cake at a co-worker's party or pull out carrot sticks on break and someone hurls the inquiry across the break room. "You on a diet or sumthin'?"

In my case it was showing up to work on a bike. "Saving gas or working out?" "Both," I responded. Once the word is out, everyone and their brother has advice for you or a story to relate or something they saw in the news. It is a little like being pregnant in that your body and eating habits are now up for public discussion. Anyway, I am in touch with a person or two (fellow healthy wannabes) and we trade advice or encouragement (or scolding, if need be). Today I received some words that were right on the money and I thought I'd share them.

"One good thing to remember about healthy food....don't get stuck in the "fat free" trap. A lot of fat free stuff has added sugar to make it taste better as well as empty calories to help temporarily fill you up. All you end up doing is eating something less flavorful, less satisfying, and then eating more of it to compensate. Even though you're trying to lose weight, remember fat is still your friend, it just has to incorporated wisely and in small amounts."

Smart words, Jodi. . . Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How you like them apples?