Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A not-so-funny thing happened on the way to the airport

I took a mini-vacation by extending my Labor Day weekend.  I had a week off work, but 3 of those days were spent traveling.  I spent my time visiting relatives in distant states.  Now I need a "fun" vacation. . . you know, like a cruise!

Anyway, as I was leaving for the airport I noticed that the mail had arrived including a letter from my doctor.  I just had a physical done and the letter had my blood test results.  Everything was within normal range except for my blood sugar.  It is a little high.

The notes at the bottom said, "Recommend diet and exercise as previously discussed."  Wait a minute!  I brought up the subject of proper diet and excise at my appointment.  I basically walked in to say, "I need help!  I keep giving up, I have a hard time doing it on my own, blah blah blah."  I really didn't get any help from the doctor. . . just a "yup, you gotta just do it".  And what is a proper diet for high blood sugar anyway?  And at what point does "high" turn into diabetes?  Now I'm just full of questions.

I googled diets for high blood sugar and they all assume that you have diabetes.  Should I be following those guidelines or no?  I'm not really sure.  And I don't binge on sugar anyway, so what the hell is going on?  The only concrete info I feel that made any sense was this:  carbohydrates turn into sugar in the body.  Okay.  Also high blood sugar thickens the blood and the brain (trying to thin it) signals that you are thirsty to encourage water consumption.  Water consumption, however, is a false solution, so the only thing accomplished is that you pee more.  Great.  I have been thirsty lately.  Or maybe I'm just paranoid because I've heard that you are already slightly dehydrated by the time you feel thirsty.  So maybe I'm just paying more attention to my drinking habits.  Or maybe I'm 6 months away from sticking myself with a needle every day.  I just don't know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How you like them apples?