Saturday, December 5, 2009

I Scream, You Scream!


I was poking around the NuVal website and found a frequently asked question about ice cream.  In the past, I have sometimes opted for orange sherbert thinking it was a healthier choice than ice cream.  Reading the answer I think I feel a little silly to not have figured this out on my own.

"Why do sherbets and sorbets score lower than ice cream? I thought they would score better because of the reduced fat?

Two reasons: First, these items don’t contain positive nutrients that would raise their scores. Second, sherbets and sorbets are essentially frozen sugar water and all the calories come from sugar. NuVal is about finding the most nutrition for your calories. These items are essentially empty calories, so they rank poorly on the NuVal scale."

No comments:

Post a Comment

How you like them apples?